You may have noticed a dramatic increase in video content on Facebook, Instagram and Youtube.
According to Cisco, “Mobile video traffic accounted for 60 percent of total mobile data traffic in 2016.” This statistic supports projected exponential growth in mobile video traffic in the coming years. And Instagram is ready to take advantage of it with their newest product, IGTV.
What is Instagram’s next big move? IGTV.
IGTV is exactly what it sounds like, Instagram TV – a free (currently ad-free) resource that can be used to provide great video content to your Instagram followers. The idea behind IGTV is to create a simple platform for creators and influencers to post longer content (up to an hour) and engage with their following on mobile devices.
Once you download and open IGTV, you will notice there is curated content for you, content from creators you follow and popular content categories. After updating your Instagram app, you will notice the new IGTV icon in the upper right hand corner. Once you have posted on IGTV, these videos will appear on your Instagram profile.
What does this mean for your mission-driven organization?
You want to meet people where they are and get them invested in your mission. People are on their mobile devices and they are watching videos. We have to start thinking about our mobile users first, and engage them with the kind of content they want to see.
With IGTV, there is higher potential for organic growth and engagement among your following because it is simple to use and easy for your audience to engage with on the go.
Simplicity was key in creating IGTV and that translates to the user’s experience.
What should you do to make your account stand out?
- Plan with your mission in mind.
- First, evaluate if you should be on IGTV. Do you have the bandwidth to keep your channel updated with engaging content? Do you have a clear vision for how it fits into your overall marketing or communications strategy?
- Start thinking about what you would like to include on your channel and how it will reflect the mission of your organization. Will you be reusing content you’ve already created, producing new content, or simply posting in-the-moment videos?
- Find your voice by thinking through the tone and objective of each video you will share to your channel. Consistency and structure are important in developing and keeping your social media following interested and engaged.
- Think vertical.
- Shoot your videos vertically or edit them to fit the full portrait 9:16 aspect ratio. If you have older videos you would like to include on your channel, keep in mind you will need to edit them so they work for this new platform.
- Commit fully.
- If you start a channel, you need to be committed to engaging with your followers. Make sure you are prepared to respond to comments and upload consistently. There is nothing worse than starting strong only to see your channel fizzle out into the forgotten project pile.
Kickstart your channel
Maybe you are ready to jump on the bandwagon or maybe you want to see how it goes for a while. Either way, IGTV is an interesting new platform for mission-driven organizations to connect with people.
IGTV is waiting for you. Get out there and start creating!